7/10/2012

National Treasure 3: Assassin's Creed

Ok, now I am not a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series, but I know the basic extremely convoluted plot-Modern dude uses a device to see into his ancestors' (who were all well-trained assassins) lives. There is a secondary subplot about finding the locations of powerful artifacts, but the meat of this story is killing people in ancient times with style. Now, look at the synopsis of the plot of the upcoming film:

The plot of the film "revolves around a man[2] who learns his ancestors were trained Assassins after he is kidnapped by a secret org with ties to the Knights Templar, and sent back in time to retrieve historical artifacts."[3]

Now that essentially sounds like somebody just glanced over the cliff notes, and decided all that nasty killing wouldn't fit the magic PG-13 rating they were going for and instead made it a time-traveling treasure hunt. So where's Nic Cage? Really the only positive note is that the amazing Michael Fassbender is going to star, but he's hardly any guarantee of quality. I'll remain very skeptical until I've at least seen a trailer.

I've previously mentioned that the digital space available on current consoles is a great place to realize epic scale rpgs without a massive budget and costly price tag for the consumer. Looks like someone is finally listening with this week's PSN release of Rainbow Moon, a digital turn-based strategy rpg that according to most reviews, can easily run you 100 hours of gameplay for only 15 bucks. Sure, the graphics look very sub-par, but it's hard to find a better bang for your buck. I'll be holding off on it for now simply because I have no less than 5 big rpgs to get through atm, but I certainly plan on diving into it when I have the time. Most likely this Winter which as I have mentioned looks extremely void of big games and especially rpgs in general.

And finally seems like there is plenty of interest in a $100 console that plays Angry Birds after all. The Ouya console started a kickstarter fund. And reached it's goal in less than a day. Seeing as this is now a reality, I'm very intrigued. It will be interesting to see if can really offer some unique and creative experiences, because that's what I'm always looking for in a new console. Not fancy tech demos showing how impressive hair flows or water ripples, but something that shows new ideas. I'd much rather this be the future of consoles than some $400-600 box that simply offers me prettier versions of stuff I can already play. We'll see if it actually lives up to its potential,

That's all I have for today, but I should get another post up by this weekend. Until then, here's your FREE GAME OF THE WEEK: Toys vs. Nightmares

No comments: