6/12/2013

Nintendo may have the best holiday lineup. But it may not matter...



I feel kind of sorry for Nintendo. They don't have drm, offer free online and you can trade games freely, yet Sony is treated as a hero of the people for doing it, regardless of how good their games are. I think people have kind of lost perspective because has anybody looked at the launch line-up for either the Xbox One or the PS4? In terms of games you can only get on those consoles, you are talking 2-3 games tops.

 If you haven't gotten into the next generation and want a ton of games to play, The Wii U makes a hell of a lot more sense than the PS4 or the Xbox One this holiday season. It will actually have big third party titles such as Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4, Batman Arkham Origins (and possibly COD Ghosts) along with more unique titles than anybody else. You have a new Mario, Donkey Kong, Windwaker HD, Pikimin, Scribblenauts Unmasked and arguably my most anticipated 2014 Wii U title-The Wonderful 101.  That's an incredibly strong line-up and I don't think anybody would be bored or disappointed with it.

But I feel like Nintendo has missed their big opportunity here. The rest of this year seems comprised of things that shoud've been out already (Pikmin, Rayman, Wonderful 101) and extremely safe bets. Mario 3D World looks fun, but its also basically 3D Land ported. The other big holiday release, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is an extremely safe game that basically looks the same as Donkey Country Returns. It's a great line-up but no stand out title that will really move systems. Hopefully they will realize they need a price cut because even with a better line-up I don't think anyone will look at them and look at a PS4 and not pay the extra $50. Which admittedly now might not be the best move because their exclusive offerings seem to pretty much be Knack (which does look amazing though) and a new Killzone. That's not worth $400 frankly.

That's it for today, I should be be back this weekend with a list of my most anticipated titles from E3.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.
I must spend some time finding out more or working out more.
Thank you for magnificent info I used to be looking for this info
for my mission.

Here is my web page ... Rank