8/24/2007

Where Wil Wheaton is King

It's a good thing there aren't any movies I'm interested in this weekend (well, I was interested in War, but the complete lack of advance screenings for any critics leads me to believe it'll suck hard), because the major geek gathering of 07, the Penny Arcade Expo kicks off tomorrow right here in Seattle. And the keynote speaker is none other than geek icon Wil Wheaton. It's actually pretty amazing how Wil has gone from one of the most hated characters on a beloved sci-fi show to someone who's more or less become a symbol for geeks standing up to those who would exploit them. I definitely became of fan of his during his short stint on G4 when it was still a network for gamers and not some half-assed attempt to be the next Spike. He'll be sure to kickoff a huge weekend and I'll be there with my new camera to take some hopefully good pictures for nearly the whole event.

I'm a little late on this, but I hope you picked up the newly released special collector's edition of the greatest sci-fi film of the last 10 years, SERENITY. I normally abhor the double dipping process, but this edition is pretty reasonably priced at around $20 and that's worth it for the addition of commentary with most of the cast. I can understand given how this did at the box office, how a big budget sequel isn't warranted, but given the trash that gets made into TV movies or direct to dvd movies these days, I really don't understand how a show with such a huge following, that every single major person involved said they would love to continue working on can't be resurrected in some form.

Ok, that's really it for now, I'm going to try and get as much Bioshock in as I can before I go geek out at PAX.

No comments: