6/28/2006

PS3 games will cost you....ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Well, that's exaggerating the point a bit, but look at this vague but alarming quote: "Generally Speaking, over the past twelve years or so, there has been a consumer expectation that disc-based games are maybe $59 on the high end to $39 on the low end. So, what I can say now is, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to think that we could suddenly turn around and say "PS3 Games now $99.99." I don't think consumers expect software pricing to suddenly double. So, the quick answer is that we want to make it as affordable as possible, knowing that there is a set consumer expectation for what software has cost for the past twelve years. That's kind of the best answer I can give you. So, if it becomes a bit higher than $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be $100".

Probably the biggest gripe of anybody entering the next generation is the higher cost of games, especially when those games aren't really delivering anything that makes you think it's worth the higher price. Now, Sony's are most likely going to be even costlier (my guess is $70), and my guess is they won't deliver an experience worthy of that cost (and game companies wonder why the used market is so popular...).

Superman Returns was simply an excellent movie. The performances (especially Routh as Superman, nearly as good as Reeve in the role), effects and story were all top notch. I've probably been spoiled by the comics, but the finale was a little mundane. It might have been better to pair Luthor with a villain that could physically match up with him (but that's what sequels are for).

Ok, the only other movie opening this week is The Devil Wears Prada on Friday. And while Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep are two fine actresses, I really have no interest in seeing a movie about an uber-bitch that runs a magazine. Seems like ground that's been tread before (like in any movie about the fashion industry).

And the reason I'm talking about it now is this will probably be my last post for this week, as I'm moving from the abysmally hot city of Chico to the supposedly abysmally rainy city of Seattle (whenever I tell someone I'm moving up there, they always respond "you know it rains a lot?", REALLY?!?). But never fear, I should be up and posting again by Monday at the latest, possibly Sunday if I feel up to it. But in the meantime, here's your FREE GAME OF THE WEEK: Balloon Duel

No comments: